The Impact Of The Words We Speak To Our Children


Yesterday I had one of those amazing days as a mother where the kids behave, you get things done and have time to spare. On days like these I think I would like to have 10 more kids, but then there are those other days...

While Chloe was sleeping and Mason was playing quietly in his room (I know! What the!?), I was doing some ironing and watching Dr Maya Angelou on Oprah's Super Soul Sunday. What an inspiring women! You can watch the whole episode here.

One of the things that stuck with me was how she spoke about the power of the words we speak. She pointed out that words spoken can start a war or create peace and how the words we speak may come flying out of our mouths without giving them a second thought, but have a huge impact on those who hear them.

It made me think about how I have been hurt by what some people have said to me and how I'm sure I've hurt others with my words also. As parents we need to be so careful with the words we speak to our children in particular, because they will have such a huge impact on who they become and how they feel about themselves. For instance, I don't like anyone to say my daughter is getting 'so chubby' or is 'a little fatty' because I personally think although she is only young, she is listening to what we say and using these words to form her sense of self. I want her to know she is clever, smart, happy, beautiful, funny and talented so these are the words I choose to use when I talk to her. I don't like any negative words being used even if its all in good fun.

Do you think words impact on small children? How have words spoken to you or spoken by you affected your life or the lives of those around you? 

I always love to chat so feel free to write a comment below or send me an email :)

If you haven't already, please subscribe to my blog to be notified of when I put up new posts. The subscription section is to the top and right of this page :)

Hope you're having an awesome week!

Sophia xo



2 comments :

  1. I am also big on this idea! Especially when it comes to manners. I cant stand when someone says "what do you say?" when handing something (or whatever) to my daughter to prompt a thank-you. I believe manners should be taught by example not leading her down the path of saying it only to please others. So she gets WHY she is saying it "for genuine gratitude" rather than doing it for praise for saying it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more!

      I really want to instil a genuine sense of gratitude in my children also.

      Thanks for your comment :)

      x

      Delete